For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act), R&A Championships Limited, a company registered in Scotland under company number SC247047 and having its registered office at Beach House, Golf Place, St Andrews, Fife KY16 9JA, R&A Group Services Limited, a company registered in Scotland under company number SC247048 and having its registered office at Beach House, Golf Place, St Andrews, Fife KY16 9JA and R&A Rules Limited, a company registered in Scotland under company number SC247046 and having its registered office at Beach House, Golf Place, St Andrews, Fife, KY16 9JA, are joint data controllers.
We may collect the following personal and non-personal information from you in connection with the Websites:
- We collect personal information from you if you sign up to receive our newsletter.
- We collect personal information about people who provide feedback in relation to any of the Websites.
- We collect personal information that you provide in relation to any user account you may hold with us for any of the Websites.
- We collect personal information (such as your name, postal address, phone number, e-mail address and credit/debit card number) that you provide in relation to any inquiry, order or transaction you carry out through any of the Websites including ticket sales for The Open.
- We use software that collects personal information that you provide in relation to inquiries, orders or transactions that you start on any of the Websites but which you then abandon or do not complete, i.e. the data is captured regardless of whether you click “next” or “submit” on the relevant page.
- We also collect certain non-personal information when you visit and use any of the Websites. For example, we may collect and store your IP address, reference site domain name, and demographic information. We also may collect information including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data and usage while on any of the Websites. We will only collect such data in aggregate form (so that no individual user is identified).
- We collect personal information that you provide if you apply to work at The R&A through any of the Websites.
The above information may be used by us solely as set out in the paragraph “Use of Personal Information” below.
If we do want to collect any other personally identifiable information through our Websites, we will be up front about this. We will make it clear when we collect personal information and will explain what we intend to do with it.
Please be aware that cookies are used on the Websites. Please refer to our policies on cookies:
Use of personal information
We use information we collect about you for providing you with information, goods and/or services that you request from us. We may use information we collect about you for providing you with information which we feel may interest you, if you have agreed to be contacted for such purposes. We also use information in aggregate form (so that no individual user is identified) for statistical analysis.
Often, individuals will interact with us in multiple ways and will provide us with personal information in different contexts. We will use that personal information to obtain a profile of your different interactions with us as well as for the other purposes communicated to you at the time of the collection of your personal information and, where appropriate, for those purposes to which you have consented.
We may also use information we collect about you in order to contact you by email in relation to any inquiry, order or transaction that you start on any of the Websites but which you then abandon or do not complete. Such contact will be for the purpose of determining whether we can offer any assistance to help you complete the inquiry, order or transaction, or if we can provide alternative goods and services that may be of greater interest to you. We will not store your credit card number or financial details for this purpose.
Where you have purchased tickets for The Open or products from the Websites, we shall retain the credit card number or financial details you provided in relation to that purchase for such period as may be necessary to allow us to process any refund that may be due to you. Any refunds for tickets purchased for The Open shall be calculated and applied in accordance with The Open Ticket Terms and Conditions. Any refunds for products purchased from shop.randa.org shall be calculated and applied in accordance with The R&A shop Terms and Conditions. Any refunds for products purchased from shop.theopen.com shall be calculated and applied in accordance with The Open shop Terms and Conditions of Sale.
We collect personal information from you if you apply to work at The R&A. We will only use the information you supply to us to process your application and to monitor recruitment statistics. Where we want to disclose information to a third party, for example where we want to take up a reference or obtain a ‘disclosure’ from the Criminal Records Bureau, we will not do so without informing you beforehand unless the disclosure is required by law. Please note that personal information about unsuccessful candidates will be held for 6 months from the date of receipt of their applications, it will then be destroyed or deleted. We will retain de-personalised statistical information about applicants to help inform our recruitment activities, but no individuals are identifiable from that data.
Once a person has taken up employment with The R&A, we will compile a file relating to their employment. The information contained in this will be kept secure and will only be used for purposes directly relevant to that person’s employment. Once their employment with The R&A has ended, we will retain the file in accordance with the requirements of our normal policies and then delete it.
We will not otherwise disclose personal information about you to any third party without your prior written consent unless required to do so by law.
Linking to other websites
Updating account information
You have the right to request a copy of the information we hold about you. To obtain a copy of this personal information please email or write to us at the address set out below. We may make a small charge for this service.
We want to make sure that your personal information is accurate and up-to-date. You may ask us to correct or remove information you think is inaccurate.
We fully co-operate with the police in identifying those who use our service for illegal activities. We reserve the right to report to the police any activities that we reasonably believe to be unlawful.
How to contact us
- by email at email@example.com; or
- write to us at R&A Championships Limited, Beach House, Golf Place, St Andrews, Fife KY16 9JA or at R&A Group Services Limited, Beach House, Golf Place, St Andrews, Fife KY16 9JA or at R&A Rules Limited, Beach House, Golf Place, St Andrews, Fife, KY16 9JA.