The Player's Edition
- A Shorter Edition of the Rules: A major change in our approach to presenting the Rules is issuing a much shorter “Player’s Edition” of the Rules. This is intended to be widely circulated to golfers worldwide, as the version of the Rules that golfers will be able most easily to access and use. We hope that the Player’s Edition will encourage many more golfers to read and understand the Rules, and will make it easier to find answers when situations arise on the course.
- Written in the Second Person: The Player’s Edition will be written in the second person with the focus on “you” the golfer. This golfer-focused style is another key step in making the Rules more accessible. An example of this golfer-focused style is as follows:
a. When Lifted or Moved Ball Must Be Replaced
If you lift or move your ball at rest, your ball must be replaced on its original spot (which you must estimate if you don’t know it), except:
- When you lift the ball to take relief under a Rule or to replace the ball on a different spot, or
- When the ball moves only after you have started the backswing for a stroke and then make the stroke.
- It is a Rule book: The Player’s Edition will be an actual Rule book, not merely a summary or a “Quick Guide”. It will look like the full Rules and, although the text of the Player’s Edition will be condensed, it will give the reader the same answer that is found in the full Rules. The Player’s Edition will include the Rules that describe the essential characteristics of the game of golf - for example, the fundamentals of the game, such as playing by the Rules, the different parts of the course and the equipment to be used. It also covers the most commonly used Rules. For the less frequently occurring situations that are not included, the Player’s Edition will tell the golfer where to find those answers in the full Rule book.
Evaluation and Feedback
We hope that this summary of the thinking behind the new approach to writing and presenting the Rules will help you in reviewing the drafts of the full Rules and the Player’s Edition. We look forward to your comments on the new writing style and format, the proposed reorganisation of the Rules and the introduction of the Player’s Edition.